Saturday, November 22, 2008

The Latest News on "The Bump"

There have been some recent developments on "the Bump", as we have come to call it. Last time we met with the surgeon at Children's Hospital, he and the radiologist still were in disagreement over what the Bump is. The surgeon believed it was a cyst, and the radiologist was voting for a hemangioma (birthmark, essentially). Since hemangiomas start to shrink after the first 18 months of life, we decided to wait another 6 months to see what the Bump would do.

In the meantime, we changed pediatricians. The new pedi was excited to get her hands on the Bump, and decided to send Abby for an ultrasound. Well, that was fun. It took two people to hold her down and one to perform the test. The nurse told me I was very good at holding Abby down. I told her thank you, I have had a lot of practice, as Abby is very ornery about being made to do things such as getting her nails clipped. Anyway...the pedi is sure from the test that the Bump is indeed a hemangioma. I am cautiously optimistic that she is right. If she is, it means Abby will probably need no surgery or treatment, only time for the Bump to shrink and eventually disappear. Praise God! That was exactly what we were praying for! So, we will meet with the surgeon again in January and see what he thinks about the ultrasound result. I hope it might be the last time we will have to see him!

We did have a Bump scare this week, which prompted our meeting with the pedi. Abby fell and banged her head on the windowsill. The Bump swelled up immediately and, I admit, Brian and I freaked out a little. The Bump is made up of tiny blood vessels, so I was concerned that there could be some sort of bleeding if she hit it hard enough. Here are pics of her poor Bump that morning.


As it turned out, Abby's Bump is not fed by an artery (some hemangiomas are), so there is no concern for bleeding. Whew. I'm glad we took her in, though, because we feel like we finally have an answer and more knowledge about the nature of the Bump. So, good news all around!

Here's just a fun picture of Abby playing in a box. She loves boxes lately.



3 comments:

jenvare said...

Boy Dat Big!

jenvare said...

Glad to hear about what the new pedi says. We'll pray the bump away.

chaps said...

Sharing in your joy over answered prayers for "the bump"!!!