Abby has been reaching some exciting new milestones these past few days. It's funny...I'm excited to see her maturing, but it always makes me a little sad when she does something new because it means she's growing up. I imagine many parents feel this way, but it doesn't keep me from feeling a little bit silly when I get teary eyed putting away clothes she has grown out of!
Naps have always been a struggle with Abby. I hear other moms saying their children take 2-3 hour naps during the day and I think "WHAT!?!?!?". From the time our kid was born, she would only take a 1/2 hour nap at a time. It drove me nuts. It took us 6 months to get her to one hour-long nap a day. Right now, though, she is still asleep in her crib after an hour and a half! I had to go check on her, because I was getting worried. Do I dare I hope this might be a trend and not a fluke? :-)
Along the same lines, we have always rocked Abby to sleep for naps and nighttime. The past few weeks, it's been getting harder to get her to go down to sleep. So, we decided it was time for her to learn how to put herself to sleep, and we resolved to let her cry it out until she learned how to do it. Well, it took about a day. Go figure. We're both shocked and now we wonder just how long she has been able to do this. What new-found freedom we have to be able to just put her in her crib, leave the room and have her hardly make a peep on her way to dreamland. We should have tried this sooner!!
We also dropped our last nighttime feeding for the first time last night. Abby slept straight through the night from 8pm to 7am. Woo hoo!!! I get a full night of sleep, plus some free time in the evening. Ah...wonderful!
I know these developments might not seem like all that exciting, but for a first-time parent, this is big! Now if we can just get this solid food thing down.....
Naps have always been a struggle with Abby. I hear other moms saying their children take 2-3 hour naps during the day and I think "WHAT!?!?!?". From the time our kid was born, she would only take a 1/2 hour nap at a time. It drove me nuts. It took us 6 months to get her to one hour-long nap a day. Right now, though, she is still asleep in her crib after an hour and a half! I had to go check on her, because I was getting worried. Do I dare I hope this might be a trend and not a fluke? :-)
Along the same lines, we have always rocked Abby to sleep for naps and nighttime. The past few weeks, it's been getting harder to get her to go down to sleep. So, we decided it was time for her to learn how to put herself to sleep, and we resolved to let her cry it out until she learned how to do it. Well, it took about a day. Go figure. We're both shocked and now we wonder just how long she has been able to do this. What new-found freedom we have to be able to just put her in her crib, leave the room and have her hardly make a peep on her way to dreamland. We should have tried this sooner!!
We also dropped our last nighttime feeding for the first time last night. Abby slept straight through the night from 8pm to 7am. Woo hoo!!! I get a full night of sleep, plus some free time in the evening. Ah...wonderful!
I know these developments might not seem like all that exciting, but for a first-time parent, this is big! Now if we can just get this solid food thing down.....
2 comments:
Just as her aunt I'm overwhelmed to think of Abby growing up so fast. Not living close to you guys too is hard... I feel like I'm missing so much and I'm jealous of your friends and the students there that get to see Abby more often. Keep sharing please. It helps me feel more connected.
so jealous!
Post a Comment