So I wrote this a couple weeks back. Sorry for the delay...
I just returned from the Adventures in Leadership trip with incoming freshmen. It was a five day trip in the wilds of north-central PA. We had a small group this year of three freshmen, two sophomores (student leaders), and two Titan Traverse staff (Steve and I). The small number proved to facilitate great discussion and a sense of vulnerability that began to take place even within the first 6 hours of the trip. Walls came down and folks shared their hearts… fears, desires, hopes, anxieties. Being away from everyday distractions, out in the middle of nowhere, carrying everything you need to live on your back, created an environment for bonding and teamwork. We were all out of our comfort zones at one point or another. We put the students out on an overnight solo experience. Each student was set along a trail within ear shot of each other, but far enough that they would not be distracted by each other. We all spent 16 hours in seclusion with only an MRE (meal ready to eat), a notebook, and one’s thoughts (and prayers).
A campfire creates great opportunity for discussion. Each night around the campfire, we asked open-ended questions to spark conversation and discussion. Again, these times became times of vulnerability and growing intimacy. Seven “former strangers” as they referred to the group, grew quite close over the five days. We challenged them to think about who they are, who they want to be, and what they are going to be about. We talked a lot about the opportunities that college brings for self-discovery and firming up one’s identity. We talked about faith and life, politics and social issues.
On our Training Trip last week, when conversation turned to God and faith, Steve leaned over to me and whispered, “there’s the magic.” Well, there were even more “magical” moments this trip in which students shared their own Christian beliefs and faith with the others. The students asked Steve and I to answer some of the questions we had been asking them, giving us the opportunity to share our faith as well. There were students on the trip that are not yet Christians, but they are seeking. It is clear that the Holy Spirit is working on their hearts, and that He had them on this trip for a reason.
For logistic reasons, we needed to take two vehicles on the trip to do some shuttling at the trail head. While it separated two of us from the rest of the group for the four hour ride there and back, it did provide me an opportunity for one on one time with each student. One of the student leaders and I had some great conversation about our faith. She began telling me about her relationship with God, and I asked her who Jesus is to her. She thought it a tough question at first, but began telling me that He is her Savior and best friend. She follows Him and knows He is with her all the time. Later in the week, she asked me the same question, and I was able to share my relationship with Jesus with her. That led to conversation about God’s calling on her life. It is neat to see God working in her heart and mind. She truly desires to glorify Him and to serve Him where He wants her to be, not necessarily where she wants to be.
I was also able to spend time with one of the Freshman guys who attended the trip. He is not yet a Christian, but is really open and seeking. He mentioned to me that he was going to join two other students in their search for a church once school started. He told me that he is not very religious, but that he is searching for meaning and identity in life, and that he thinks faith may help him in that. I was able to share the gospel in detail with him that car ride. I shared my testimony with him and told him why I have chosen to follow Jesus. He took it all in attentively. I will be following up with this young man for sure. We also share a fascination for guns and shooting. God has put me in his life, and him in mine, for a purpose. We have plans already to meet every other week with the AIL students.
I’m already looking forward to AIL in 2007. I hope to recruit several more freshmen for the trip next year. It is a life-changing experience for the students, and its great for relationship building on our end.
Tuesday, September 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Brain - I can't express how joyful I feel inside reading these accounts of your ministry and time with the students. I'm truely thrilled and in awe of God's wonder and leading in your life!
SisterJen
Post a Comment